Scary Kerry Has No Answer for Social Security's Future

Date: Oct. 20, 2004
Location: Washington, DC


Scary Kerry Has No Answer for Social Security's Future

WASHINGTON-Congressman Mario Diaz-Balart (R-Fla.) today rebuked John Kerry for trying to scare seniors about Social Security while also ignoring the realities of the current system.

"Instead of providing solutions to Social Security's long-term financial challenges, John Kerry doesn't even recognize that a serious problem exists," Diaz-Balart said. "Rejecting leadership for lies about President Bush, Kerry only further demonstrates why he cannot be trusted on matters of national security or on important domestic issues.

"While President Bush is demonstrating leadership on the critical issue of Social Security, John Kerry has no plan at all, unless you include his votes for higher taxes on Social Security recipients," Diaz-Balart continued. "Saying you have a plan doesn't make it so. It seems his only solution is to scare seniors with fabrications and lies. We may be near Halloween, but our seniors deserve more than Scary Kerry can give."

On March 23, 2004, the Social Security Board of Trustees issued its 2004 Annual Report to Congress which indicated:

The projected point at which tax revenues will fall below program costs comes in 2018 -- the same as the estimate in last year's report.

The projected point at which the Trust Funds will be exhausted comes in 2042 -- also the same as the estimate in last year's report.

"President Bush believes that a promise made is a promise kept. He is committed to ensuring that current retirees and near-retirees do not lose any of their benefits while also ensuring that Social Security will continue to benefit future generations," Diaz-Balart said.

arrow_upward