wesh.com - Gov. Scott Shoots Down High-Speed Rail Plan

News Article

Date: Feb. 24, 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Issues: Transportation

By Amanda Ober

Florida Gov. Rick Scott said on Thursday that he believes a high-speed train from Tampa-to-Orlando doesn't make financial sense.

Despite assurances from U.S. Department of Transportation attorneys that the state would not be on the hook for cost overruns and operating costs for at least 20 years, the governor said he is just not convinced the bullet train makes sense for Florida.

A year ago, high-speed rail had been revived with promises of several billion federal dollars under President Barack Obama's push to build a network of bullet trains.

However, a week ago, Scott called it too risky for Florida taxpayers. He has since been reluctant to accept any alternative that might keep the project on track.

"I am worried about the cost overruns and the operating costs, and I am worried that if it is shut down, Florida is on the hook; each of you is on the hook for $2.4 billion," Scott said.

Rep. John Mica released released a statement expressing his feelings on the project.

"I have done all that I can to salvage the project to this point and present what I consider to be a viable alternative plan that places the risk with the private sector and protects the taxpayers," Mica wrote.

Mica indicated that there may be some way to create a group in Florida to re-apply for high-speed rail funding, but that could take years.

U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson said Scott's decision is a monumental mistake that will cost Florida thousands of jobs.

Nelson said that Scott may be exceeding his constitutional authority in rejecting a plan the senator said would create 24,000 new jobs in Central Florida.


Source
arrow_upward