DURBIN: DISASTER DECLARATION FOR ILLINOIS WILL HELP TORNADO RAVAGED COMMUNITIES
U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) today praised the decision by President Bush to declare central Illinois a disaster area. The President's disaster declaration triggers the release of federal funds to help people and municipalities recover from the tornadoes that devastated Springfield and other communities in central Illinois earlier this month.
"Although the power is back on, and things are beginning to return to normal, residents and business owners in Central Illinois are still picking up the pieces. This Presidential disaster declaration will now start the process of matching needs with money," said Durbin. "There is a tremendous amount of work ahead of us. Damage estimates show that nearly 130 homes received major damage and another 840 homes received minor damage. Eighty businesses suffered major damage. I am hopeful that the federal restoration efforts will begin dealing with the most seriously affected residents first."
But the Illinois lawmaker warned that disaster assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is not a "magic wand" and that residents and business owners need to be aware of the limits of the government's ability to help.
"There are lessons to be learned from other disasters -- even now that FEMA has arrived, we need to make sure that no promises are made that can't be kept, that they help people cut through the red tape, and help find solutions to the personal, family and business problems that have resulted from this disaster," Durbin said.
Durbin said federal disaster assistance falls into three general categories: Individual Assistance -- aid to individuals and households; Public Assistance -- assistance to state and local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations for emergency work and the repair or replacement of disaster-damaged public facilities; and Hazard Mitigation Assistance -- funding for measures to reduce future losses to public and private property.
Not all programs, however, are activated for all of the communities affected by the tornados. In this case, Sangamon County is eligible for all three types of help from FEMA - individual assistance, public assistance and hazard mitigation assistance. Greene, Logan, Morgan and Scott counties are eligible for public assistance and hazard mitigation assistance. All Illinois counties are eligible for the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program.
Durbin said that FEMA has a variety of programs that provide money and services to people in the declared area whose property has been damaged or destroyed and whose losses are not covered by insurance. In every case, the disaster victim must register for assistance and establish eligibility. The toll-free telephone registration number is 1?800?621-FEMA (or TTY 1?800?462?7585 for the hearing or speech impaired). FEMA (or the providing state or federal agency) will verify eligibility and need before assistance is offered.
Governor Blagojevich asked President Bush on March 17 to declare the storm-damaged region a federal disaster area. Durbin, along with Sen. Barack Obama, Reps. Ray LaHood, Lane Evans, John Shimkus and Jerry Costello also wrote the President in support of federal disaster aid. Last week, Durbin joined Springfield Mayor Tim Davlin and hundreds of volunteers in helping the city clear debris and help clean up damaged neighborhoods.
The governor's office estimated the cost to state and local governments at $37 million for debris removal, emergency protective measures, and damage to infrastructure, buildings, equipment and utilities. Blagojevich said yesterday that the state will continue to try to get federal assistance for individuals in areas beyond Sangamon County.
http://durbin.senate.gov/record.cfm?id=253317&&