Blumenthal Calls for Recall of Exploding E-Cigarettes, Ban From U.S. Skies

Press Release

Date: Dec. 23, 2016
Location: Washington, DC

Following numerous incidents of exploding and smoldering e-cigarettes dangerously injuring users -- including the hospitalization of a Stratford, Connecticut man whose e-cigarette exploded in his mouth, knocking out several of his teeth -- U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) wrote to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) today calling on the federal agencies to recall the exploding devices and establish clear safety standards for rechargeable lithium-ion batteries used in the devices.

"These dangerous devices are exploding mid-use--maiming users and endangering the lives of anyone nearby. I am calling on the FDA and CPSC to immediately recall these defective e-cigarettes, and to establish clear safety standards for e-cigarette batteries," Blumenthal said.

Blumenthal also wrote to major U.S. airlines today urging the industry to take immediate voluntary action to ban e-cigarettes from aircraft cabins. Earlier this year, the U.S. Department of Transportation banned e-cigarettes from checked luggage, but stopped short of banning the devices from cabins, where they continue to pose serious safety risks. There is precedent for airline action--last year Delta, United Airlines and American Airlines all banned hoverboards from carry-on and checked baggage due to fire concerns.

"Particularly on airplanes, e-cigarette explosions pose an immediate and alarming threat to public safety," Blumenthal said. "I am calling on the airlines to take immediate voluntary steps to protect travelers from this hazard, including banning e-cigarettes from all aircraft cabins."


Source
arrow_upward